First – What is a business card?
Custom printed business cards are an essential tool in business communication. Business cards are the primary way to promote your business through the distribution of contact information.
Business cards traditionally come in the standard size of 2 x 3-1/2 and are commonly printed on 100# card stock.
Second – Designing your business cards.
When designing your custom business card follow a design technique called symmetry, which is combining graphics and text to create balance in the design. This balance allows the viewer’s eyes to flow from one point to another on the business card causing movement. A good design will contribute balance and movement in order to direct the viewer subconsciously to read and react to the business card.
Tip: Keep it simple. Limit your card to only one or two graphics; any more could be distracting from the overall purpose of the business card.
Don’t forget the essential information: Name, Email, Address, Website, Phone number, Fax number, and Cell phone number. The whole reason for a business card is to communicate to a customer your contact information.
Third – Your Business Card Check List.
- Check your existing business card against the following list; it might be time for a new one.
- Does your card have current contact info? Address, phone number, email address, website address
- Does your card have your business slogan? Give the reader a reason to remember you.
- Does your card say what the company does? The more specific the better; you can’t assume the cardholder knows what your product and/or service.
- Is the card visually pleasing? Does the design make you proud, does it draw in more customers; maybe it is time for a new business card?
- Is your card legible? Is your information clear; you know the information so don’t assume it is clear.
- How does it function? Is there enough white space to write on, is the important information hidden on the back?
- Is your card printed on good card stock? No one wants their card thrown out, but if it tears on a customer its garbage and home made cards smudge and bleed ink.
- Is your card memorable? A business slogan, an innovative design, and your business as a whole should unite on your business card so the customer will remember you…does your current business card does that for you?
Updating and improving your business card is no longer a financial burden. An updated and improved custom printed business card reflects the way your business works now and in the future. Reflect your mobility, and flexibility while at the same time helping your business realize time and cost savings with a custom printed business card.
Advantages of Adding a Photo to a Business Cards
- Cards with a photo on them are often placed on top of any pile of cards and are easier to locate later due to the fact that they usually have more color than the typical business card.
- Photos give prospects a chance to begin getting acquainted. People enjoy doing business with people they know. If you’re in a business that requires a great deal of trust or confidentiality, anything you can do to seem approachable is helpful.
- A business card with your photo on it will help a new contact find you in a meeting or help to differentiate you in a group of people. If you often make initial contact with someone on the phone or via email, sending him or her a card with your photo on it before you meet in person is a thoughtful gesture.
- Photos add color and interest to an otherwise boring card.
- People make judgments based on the way we look, and it’s more than just professional attire or the expression on your face.
- Photos add cost, not only in printing, but also in having a good quality photo taken.
- Your appearance in your photo can become out-dated through your hairstyle, clothing, or the combination of both. New cards would need to be made regularly in order to avoid that dated look.