Are you looking for envelopes? Custom printed envelopes are an excellent compliment to any company’s office stationary supply. Commercial business envelopes come in several standard sizes and are normally expressed by a number such as #9 or #10. See the chart below for a list of the most common sizes. Most business envelopes are manufactured using 16 lb. to 40 lb. paper stock. Custom printed personal envelopes are also available in a wide variety of sizes and colors.
Commercial Envelope Measurements
Commercial business envelopes sizes are often referenced by a number such as #9 or #10. The chart below includes all of the most common types used by printers today.
|Size||Width x Length|
|#6 1/4||3 1/2″ x 6″|
|#6 3/4||3 5/8″ x 6 1/2″|
|#7||3 3/4″ x 6 3/4″|
|#7 3/4||3 7/8″ x 7 1/2″|
|#8 5/8||3 5/8″ x 8 5/8″|
|#9||3 7/8″ x 8 7/8″|
|#10||4 1/8″ x 9 1/2″|
|#11||4 1/2″ x 10 3/8″|
|#12||4 3/4″ x 11″|
|#14||5″ x 11 1/2″|
Commercial- Commercial envelopes are normally used for letterhead, invoices, statements, direct marketing mailings, and reply mail. Come in cartons of 2500-5000.
Booklet- Booklet envelopes (open-sided envelopes) are often used to mail annual reports, brochures, sales literature and small documents. These types of envelopes are normally used in high volume because they can be automatically inserted. Come in cartons of 500-1000.
Catalog- Catalog envelopes are used to mail catalogs, large booklets and other high weight articles. Catalog envelopes (open-ended envelopes) do not have the machine insert option. They are often hand packed. These type of envelopes often include a metal clasp. Come in cartons of 500-1000.
Invitation- Often used in formal occasions. These types of envelopes are characterized by their pointed flaps and enclosures. They can come with or without an embossed (raised) border panel. Come in cartons of 2500-5000.
A Size- Announcements, small booklets, brochures, less formal invitations, and promotional pieces. These envelopes have a square flap and come in a wide range of finishes and colors. What happens most often is enclosures are produced custom to fit within the envelope. For this reason they do not have raised panels. Come in cartons of 1000-2500.
Shipping/Packaging- These types of envelopes are typically used for shipping items and will usually have some type of internal padding like foam or bubble packaging.
These are the types that most envelope companies will offer: Paperboard, Tyvek, Corrugated, Bubble, and Plastic.
Substance Weights for Envelopes
- 16 lb. Used for overseas air mail envelopes.
- 20 lb. Used for commercial envelopes where strength and opacity is not a factor.
- 24 lb. Used for most open side official and commercial envelopes.
- 28 lb. Used for most open and catalog envelopes and large (i.e. 11, 12 and 14) size commercial envelopes.
- 32 lb. Used for heavy duty envelopes and clasp envelopes.
- 40 lb. Used for large envelopes, heavy duty envelopes or envelopes used for storage and frequent reference.
- What are Vellum envelopes?
- Does envelope size affect printing cost?
- What are envelope seals?
- What are envelope printers?
- Are printable envelopes made of special paper?
- What are lined paper envelopes?
- What is the window size on business envelopes?